When the time comes to choose the best nursing home for a loved one, family members must evaluate the issue of neglect and abuse. If this moment hasn’t arrived in your life yet, it’s only a matter of time. Being well informed and prepared to make one of the most difficult life decisions will greatly reduce the amount of stress typically experienced by countless families today. When you first visit a nursing home it’s important to check out the list of the nursing home’s daily activities, such as trips to the local shopping center, book clubs, worship services, and the daily menu of course.
Obvious signs of nursing home neglect to look for include the following:
- Weight loss
- Bruising from falls
- Bed sores or soiled clothes
- Unsuitable clothing according to weather
- Being left alone for long periods of time
- Sounds of moaning or groaning by residents
Not so obvious signs of nursing home neglect in Florida to look for include the following:
- Careless administering of meds to residents
- Nursing home staff is overworked and underpaid
- Theft (clothes, jewelry, and cash) within nursing homes is not notoriously common
- Physical restraints of difficult residents is rarely disclosed
- Nursing homes work hard to prep for a generous review of their standard of care
- Residents can be discharged by nursing homes without notice
If you are considering placing a loved one within Florida nursing home, it’s essential to review obvious and not so obvious warning signs of neglect. Contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld for a free legal consultation to determine if you have a case. To successfully pursue defending your loved one’s rights, you will need a qualified Florida Nursing Home Abuse Attorney. Call 866-9-HELP NOW or 866-943-5766.