Most Broward County residents are well aware of the prevalence and danger of motorcycle accidents. Everyday citizens are usually prone to blame motorcyclists for causing a majority of the accidents, but nothing could be farther from the truth. Well, that’s only partly true. Below is a list of Florida’s Top 5 Leading Causes of Motorcycle Accidents.
- Car Driver Inattentiveness. Most trucks and cars simply don’t know how to share the road well with motorcyclists, and therefore just don’t pay attention. The leading cause of motorcycle accidents is head-on collisions. When another vehicle strikes a motorcycle from the front, 78% of these accidents result in fatalities.
- Left-turn Collisions. When a motorcyclist precedes straight, and a car driver attempts to turn left, they often quickly collide because the car driver does not notice the motorcycle. If the motorcyclist attempts to pass the motorist, then he is rarely visible, which may also result in an automobile accident or fatality.
- Lane Splitting. During rush hour, motorcyclists often drive between two lanes of either slow or stopped traffic. This is called lane splitting and is highly dangerous since most cars don’t anticipate the illegal maneuver.
- Alcohol. Over half of all motorcycle fatalities involve one of the drivers using alcohol.
- Hazardous Road Conditions. Motorcycles are more vulnerable to hazardous road conditions because drivers are not well protected.
Some people who are injured from Florida motorcycle accident don’t realize that compensation is often their legal right. If you have sustained a motorcycle accident injury, then you may be eligible for financial recovery from your devastating loss.
Contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld, a South Florida Motorcycle Accident Attorney, for a free legal consultation to determine if you have a case for an injury involved in a motorcycle accident. Call [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″].