It’s fun to celebrate – be it a birthday, a college graduation, or the celebration of the birth of our nation. However, holidays are risky days to drive. According to Fox Business, July 4th is actually the most dangerous day of the year to be on the road. In fact, it is one of the days when the majority of fatalities occur due to auto accidents. This is due, in large part, to intoxicated drivers.
As we participate in various festivities during the summer, these parties often involve the consumption of alcohol. Many people, unfortunately, do not realize how many alcoholic beverages they consume at these celebrations. They get into their vehicles and drive home, unaware that their bodies are still under the influence of alcohol. This is why on holidays, in particular, it can be dangerous to be out driving.
How can you avoid being one of these intoxicated drivers? Here are a few tips:
- Make sure you are eating at the party, not just drinking. Eat foods particularly high in protein.
- Sip your drink. Avoid gulping or “shooting” your drink. The sooner your glass is empty, the higher chance there is of you being given another one.
- Take breaks. You don’t always have to have a drink in your hand. Politely say no to a new alcoholic beverage from time to time. Instead, ask for water or another non-alcoholic drink.
- Limit yourself to one drink per meal.
- As always, if you are planning on drinking at all, it is safest to have a designated driver.
None of us plan on being in a drunk driving accident in Florida, whether we’ve caused the accident or are a victim of one. The most we can do is to be responsible, never drink and drive, and be alert while driving. For a free legal consultation, contact accident attorney in Fort Lauderdale David Benenfeld at [number type=”1″] or [number type=”1″] to get your questions answered and to learn about your rights.