The reality of child injuries and fatalities due to backover accidents in Florida and throughout the rest of this nation is devastating. There are approximately 50 children who are victims of backover accidents each week in this country. Some of these accidents lead to injuries and others result in traumatic fatalities.
The statistics according to KidsAndCars.org indicate that two kids die every week due to these types of accidents, and about 48 children are treated in emergency rooms each week for injuries they sustained in backover accidents.
What are the common denominators of backover accidents in Florida?
- Children ages 12 months to 23 months are in the highest risk group
- About 70% of these accidents involve a close relative or parent behind the wheel
- Over 60% of backover accidents involve a van, SUV, truck or larger vehicle
In order to prevent the majority of these accidents in Florida from happening, drivers should:
- Walk behind their vehicle before they back up
- Look out for children
- Look over their shoulder when backing up
- Back up slowly and carefully
- Use back up sensors and rear view cameras for extra safety measures
If you or your child has been hit while someone else was backing up in a parking lot or out of their driveway, you shouldn’t have to suffer from someone else’s negligence. You may be entitled to financial compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, physical therapy, loss of services and more.
Call a skilled Fort Lauderdale accident attorney at the Law Office of David Benenfeld at [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″] for help finding out your rights today. You will receive a free legal consultation at your convenience.