Pool injuries and incidents of drowning are quite alarming. The following statistics will help illustrate how important pool safety is.
- Among children ages 1-4, drowning is the leading cause of accidental death.
- Male children have an accidental drowning rate that is two times that of female children, however, female children account for twice the rate of bathtub drowning over male children.
- Among children ages 1-4, drowning most often occurs in a residential pool.
- Approximately 5,000 children under the age of 14 go to the hospital each year because of accidental drowning-related incidents.
- Formal swim lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by 88% in children 1-4 years of age.
The statistics also show the importance of safety features and other pool-related precautions. Children falling into a swimming pool can be caused by improper maintenance, lack of fencing, inadequate supervision, and a wide-variety of other causes. If your child was injured in a swimming pool, please contact the injury law services in Fort Lauderdale. At the Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, we are here to help you get the compensation that you are entitled to.