Maximizing compensation for victims of motorcycle crashes
Florida offers ideal year-round weather conditions and an abundance of scenic roads for motorcycle riders and their passengers to enjoy despite the inherent risks associated with motorcycle riding. The most current annual data from the Florida Department of Motorcycle Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shows that 7,725 people were injured and another 515 died in 9,707 motorcycle crashes in the State of Florida. Because motorcycle riders lack the protection of a steel frame and safety equipment, it is common for them and their passengers to suffer catastrophic injuries requiring extensive and long-term medical care. It is essential for victims of motorcycle crashes to obtain the maximum compensation possible to provide for their future needs.
Our Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyers commit their extensive knowledge of personal injury law and experience to representing individuals injured in motorcycle accidents. They will aggressively fight for the compensation you deserve, so you can focus on working with your healthcare professionals to recover from your injuries.
What makes motorcycle crashes different
Their smaller size in comparison to other vehicles on the road makes it difficult for drivers to see motorcycles or accurately judge the speed at which they are traveling. Common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Motorists changing lanes without checking for approaching motorcyclists.
- Vehicles following motorcycles too closely and being unable to stop in time to avoid a rear-end collision.
- Failure of motorists making left turns to yield the right-of-way to an approaching motorcycle, which could be due to an inability to accurately estimate the speed of the motorcycle.
- Sand, oil, debris and uneven pavement that usually do not affect larger, heavier vehicles, may cause a motorcycle rider to lose control and be struck by another vehicle.
Distracted drivers or drivers impaired by the consumption of drugs or alcohol increase the risk of colliding with a motorcycle. Anything that impairs a driver’s judgment or delays the ability to react to other vehicles endangers the safety of all users of Florida roadways, including motorcycle riders and their passengers. Our Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident attorneys understand how serious these injuries can be. Let us fight for your justice and help get you back on your feet with the compensation you deserve.
Negligent and careless motorists cause serious injuries to motorcycle riders
Clear, unobstructed views of the landscape and the ability to feel the warmth of the sun and smell the air are a few of the reasons enthusiasts give when asked to explain their passion for motorcycles. The absence of being surrounded by the protective body of a car or truck that attracts riders to motorcycles also makes them vulnerable to serious and life-threatening injuries in a crash.
Some of the common injuries suffered by victims of a motorcycle crash include the following:
- Road rash: A motorcycle rider who loses control or is hit by another vehicle could be dragged along the ground before coming to a stop. Road rash is the result of the friction caused by the rider’s skin coming in contact with the surface of the road. It is a painful injury that is prone to infection unless the victim receives proper medical attention.
- Fractured bones: The force with which a motorcycle rider makes contact with another vehicle, the ground, or with a stationary object (such as a signpost) may result in broken bones. Fractures to the arms and legs are common because of the fact a rider is exposed.
- Head injuries: Traumatic brain injuries frequently result from motorcycle crashes because of the absence of protection for a rider’s head and how susceptible operators are to hitting the ground or an object in a collision. The risk of suffering a head injury increases in Florida because state law does not require riders 21 years of age or older to wear a helmet as long as the person carries medical insurance coverage of at least $10,000.
Permanent scarring and disfigurement, along with severe lacerations and road rash, are common factors in a motorcycle accident. Loss of limbs, paralysis, and death could result from the types of injuries commonly seen in victims of motorcycle crashes. Our Ft Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyers are also experienced with wrongful death claims.
Contact an aggressive Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accident lawyer
Recovering from the painful injuries of a motorcycle crash is hard enough without the burden of worrying about how to recover compensation from the careless and negligent party responsible for causing the accident. A caring, experienced Ft Lauderdale motorcycle accident attorney at the Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A., will aggressively pursue the best possible outcome to provide you with the resources you need and deserve. We offer a free initial consultation for victims and families of Fort Lauderdale motorcycle accidents. Call us today at (954) 530-8077 or complete the online contact form.