When lead builds up in the body over a certain period of time, such as months or years, then a person may develop lead poisoning. At very high levels, lead poisoning may be fatal. But, even very small amounts of lead may cause severe health complications.
Lead Sources that Cause Wrongful Death
Lead is a natural metal found in the earth’s crust that our society has come to depend on for everyday pleasures and necessities. Unfortunately, most people don’t realize that they are putting themselves at such high risk, while manufacturers often play opossum when it comes to taking responsibility to produce safe products.
- Lead Paint: USA banned in 1978, still used in houses, toys, furniture
- Lead Pipes: Infiltrating water causing lead poisoning
- Lead Soil: Lead gasoline leaves remnants along highways and urban areas
- Lead Household Dust: Caused by lead paint or outdoor soil
- Lead Pottery: Lead glazes used in ceramics, porcelain, and china leaks into food
- Lead Toys: Often manufactured in foreign countries
- Lead Cosmetics: Contain kohl, used in eyeliner
Lead poisoning symptoms are difficult to notice at first and usually don’t appear until dangerous amounts have been consumed or absorbed. Children ages six and younger are vulnerable to lead poisoning that often causes significant delays to their mental and physical development.
Lead Poisoning Symptoms for Children:
- Fatigue and sluggish
- Slowed growth, learning disabilities
- Decreased appetite, weight loss
- Vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation
Lead Poisoning Symptoms for Adults:
- Muscle weakness
- Memory loss
- Decreased mental functioning
- High blood pressure
- Numbness and tingling in fingers, toes
- Mood disorders
- Low sperm count
- Miscarriage and premature birth
If you have experienced lead poisoning symptoms, or know someone who has died from lead poisoning in South Florida, it is important to talk with an experienced South Florida Wrongful Death Attorney. Contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld to find out how to receive help. Call: [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″] to meet with a skilled Wrongful Death Attorney.