People struggling with Cystic Fibrosis (CF) in South Florida may be eligible for Social Security benefits. Cystic Fibrosis is a life threatening genetic disease affecting an estimated 70,000 people today. Resulting in a sticky mucus build up in the lungs and digestive track, CF is known to be one of the most prevalent lung diseases in children and young adults.
Because Cystic Fibrosis is associated with severe symptoms and a high mortality rate, the Social Security Administration offers disability benefits to those suffering with this condition. CF symptoms typically include: lung infections, breathing difficulties, productive coughing, high blood pressure, pulmonary hypertension, and often heart failure.
Types of Florida Social Security Benefits for Cystic Fibrosis:
CF individuals may be eligible for Social Security disability if they worked and paid into the Social Security system. If not, Social Security is available based on the family’s income and assets. A skilled South Florida county disability attorney can assist Cystic Fibrosis patients in processing a successful disability claim.
How CF Patients Qualify for Social Security Benefits in South Florida
You must have ONE of the following:
- Poor Breathing Test- Spirometry test based on height showing FEV1 (exhale air) between 1.45 and 2.05
- Pulmonary Exacerbations-At least 6 times per year or every other month: episodes of coughing blood, pneumonia, bronchitis, or respiratory failure
- Chronic Infections– At least once every 6 months: chronic lung infection with increased bacterial infections requiring intravenous antibacterial treatment or nebulizer
If you do not meet one of the three requirements listed above, Social Security may still consider your claim if:
- Your doctor has instructed for you not to lift beyond a certain weight
- Your doctor has instructed you to stay away from extreme temperatures
- Your doctor has instructed you to avoid fumes and dust
- You require daily or weekly nebulizer or percussion therapy
- You need to take frequent rest breaks
To assist in the accuracy of your Cystic Fibrosis Social Security claim in South Florida, it is important to talk with an experienced South Florida Social Security disability attorney. Your attorney can help you prepare your paperwork to get the results you are looking for.
If you need assistance to file your claim for Social Security disability claim, the Law Offices of David Benenfeld is here to help. For or a free legal consultation and book call today: [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″]. Can’t Work? Maneuvering the Social Security Disability Claim’s Maze.