What Can I Do To Make Sure My Aging Parent Isn’t Financially Exploited In A Broward County Nursing Home?
We entrust our elderly loved ones to nursing homes to care for them, not to exploit them. Sadly, there have been cases of nursing assistants or other nursing home workers who have stolen money, valuables, and personal items from nursing home residents. What’s unfortunate is that financial abuse in Florida nursing homes is far too common of an occurrence.
In order to help your elderly parent from being financially exploited, there are several things you can do, including:
- Inspect the nursing home’s reviews online
- Ask the nursing home if they screen their employees or conduct background checks
- Determine if the nursing home is understaffed
- Visit your parent frequently and drop in at different times
- Set your parent up with a financial manager
- Ask your parent if you can review his or her finances from time to time
- Review your parent’s credit card and bank statements
- Pull your parent’s credit report once a year
- Be on the lookout for any new loans or mortgages
By being involved in your elderly loved one’s life, hopefully you will be able to reduce the chances of your mom or dad from becoming a Florida nursing home abuse victim. However, if your parent has been victimized, call an experienced Broward County elder abuse lawyer for help receiving justice at the Law Office of David Benenfeld today at [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″].