My Son Was Injured While Riding In His Friend’s Car. He Said His Friend Was Texting And Driving. Can We Get My Son’s Medical Bills Reimbursed From His Friend’s Insurance Company?

Passengers are typically covered by personal injury protection (PIP) laws following car accidents in Florida. This means that if your son has insurance and drives, he would have this coverage; however, even if your son doesn’t have his license or insurance yet, he would have PIP coverage under your insurance plan.

While your son more than likely will get reimbursed for his medical bills, PIP benefits can limit the amount that is reimbursed. For this reason, you may want to pursue a personal injury claim against your son’s friend’s insurance company to make sure all of your son’s damages and losses are covered. This is especially the case if your son has suffered critical injuries in the crash.

Although it can be strange for you to think about filing a claim against your son’s friend’s insurance company, just remember this is the reason he has insurance coverage—to cover himself and his passengers from damages that result in a car accident. While it may feel unnatural to bring a claim against someone you know, it is important that you remember that you are not suing your son’s friend and that the claim is against the insurance company.

In order to determine your best course and how to get the most compensation possible following your son’s car accident injury, you should speak with a skilled accident attorney. You can talk about your case in more detail by calling the Law Offices of David Benenfeld for a free consultation with a Fort Lauderdale accident attorney at [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″].