I was injured when an elderly driver turned the wrong-way onto a street and ran into my car. The woman was really shaken up over it, so I feel bad suing her. What should I do?

It is nice of you to be concerned about the woman who hit you, but you need to remember a couple things.

  • You didn’t ask to be hit and injured. If she didn’t follow the road rules and she made a poor choice while driving, she deserves to be held liable for your damages.
  • You aren’t going after her money. When you file a lawsuit against another driver, the claim is with their insurance company. This is why people have insurance, to make sure they are covered in the event of a crash that causes injuries and damages. Knowing this might make you feel better to know you aren’t taking her personal money.
  • Medical bills can add up quickly. If your injuries require surgery, physical therapy, and doctor’s visits, expenses associated with your crash-related injury can add up fast. You shouldn’t be on the hook to pay for those bills since you are the innocent party.
  • You may lose out on money from taking off of work due to your injury. If you lose wages due to a crash-related injury, you might not be able to pay for your rent, mortgage, car payment, or other expenses.

Because injuries following a car accident can be very expensive, it is wise to file a personal injury claim against the other driver’s insurance company and collect compensation for your losses. For help with your case, contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld at 866-9-HELP NOW or 866-943-5766 today for a free consultation with an injury attorney in South Florida.