How Can Parents Help Their Children Stay Safe While Riding Their Bikes To School?
Children are often oblivious to the dangers that surround them. While this is a good thing to some degree so that they can enjoy their childhood and innocence, parents also need to help them understand some things that can cause them harm, such as avoiding bicycle accidents.
In order to help your child stay safe as he or she is riding a bike to school, you can do the following things:
- Make sure your child has a properly fitted bicycle helmet and that he or she wears it every time he or she hops on the bike.
- Ensure the bike is in good condition. This includes making sure the bicycle has enough air in the tires and that the brakes are working properly.
- Make sure the bike has the proper headlights, tail lights, and reflectors.
- Have your child wear bright colors or a something that is reflective to make it easier for drivers to see him or her.
- Explain what road hazards are to your child so that he or she knows to avoid riding over potholes, gravel, and puddles.
- Make sure your child knows to ride with the flow of traffic, in a straight line, and to always be watching for moving cars.
By teaching your son or daughter about these roadway dangers, your child’s chances of being in a Florida bike crash will be reduced and he will be better protected as he rides to and from school.
Even if your child was safe and careful on a bike, all it takes is a negligent driver to cause harm to your child. If your son or daughter was injured in a bicycle accident, contact the Law Offices of David Benenfeld to speak with a skilled Fort Lauderdale accident attorney in a free consultation today at [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″].