Experienced Fort Lauderdale Bicycle Accident Attorney Ready To Serve You
Pedal power is an economical way to get around Fort Lauderdale, but riders frequently suffer serious, life-threatening injuries in collisions with cars and other motor vehicles. According to bicycle accident data for 2017 compiled by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 128 bicycle riders lost their lives and another 6,263 suffered injuries. The Centers for Disease Prevention and Control reports that adults between 50 to 59 years of age have the highest fatality rate.
Bicycle riders must obey the traffic laws, and have the same rights to Florida roads, as do drivers of other vehicles. If a driver’s negligent, reckless, or careless operation of a motor vehicle causes it to crash into you, contact a Ft Lauderdale bicycle accident attorney from the Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A. The cost of your medical care, the wages you lose from being unable to work, and other damages caused by the other party can be recovered through a claim for compensation. Even if you were partially at fault in causing the collision or contributed to the severity of your injuries, such as by not wearing a helmet, we can still recover compensation for you.
Florida laws bicycle riders must know to be safe
State law applies to bicycle riders in the same way it does to operators of cars, trucks, motorcycles, and other vehicles. You must obey all traffic laws when riding on a bicycle, including yielding the right-of-way to other vehicles when entering a roadway and riding in the same direction as other vehicles. Some of the other laws Florida bicycle riders should know and obey include:
- Bicycles must have a fixed seat for riding and may not carry more than one person unless specifically designed and equipped to do so.
- Riders must keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times when riding.
- Bicycles ridden at night must be equipped with front and rear lights.
- Riders must use hand signals when turning except when they need both hands to control the bicycle.
- Helmets are optional, but recommended for anyone 16 years of age or older.
If your violation of one or more of the state bicycle laws contributes to causing a collision with a motor vehicle, our skilled Fort Lauderdale bicycle accident law firm can help. Florida negligence law does not prevent you from receiving compensation when you are partially at fault. The amount you receive will be reduced by the extent to which your fault contributed to the accident or to your injuries, so our investigation into the accident includes gathering evidence to minimize the impact of contributory fault on the compensation you receive.
Causes of bicycle accidents in Ft Lauderdale
An increase in traffic volume on the roads – as ideal weather, beaches, and an abundance of things to do attracts tourists and new residents to Florida each year – increase the risk of accidents between motor vehicles and bicycles. Some of the common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Driver distraction: Texting, reading a map, checking navigation systems, and talking on the phone are only some of the distractions preventing drivers from focusing on maintaining control over their vehicles and the road in front of them.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol and drugs may impair a motorist’s judgment, reflexes, and ability to make decisions.
- Failure to yield: Drivers and bicycle riders must share the roads. And a motorist, rushing to make a turn or failing to come to a complete stop at a red light or stop sign, poses a risk to someone on a bicycle.
- Car doors: Drivers exiting parked vehicles without looking for approaching bicycles may cause a rider to crash into the door and suffer serious injuries.
Regardless of how your bicycle accident occurred, our commitment to making the driver who caused the accident to compensate you is unwavering.
Injuries associated with bicycle accidents
A collision between a fast-moving motor vehicle and a rider on a bicycle may result in serious and potentially life-threatening injuries to the rider, including:
- Traumatic brain injury and concussion
- Bruises and contusions
- Sprains and strains
- Neck and back trauma
Seek a medical evaluation immediately when you are the victim of a bicycle accident.
A full-service injury law firm
Our personal injury law firm also represents clients in various other types of personal injury cases, such as:
- Slip & fall injuries
- Car accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Workers’ compensation
- Wrongful death
- Nursing home abuse
- and many others
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Bicycle Accident Law Firm
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, the first call to make after being seen by a doctor should be to the Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A. Call us now at (954) 530-8077, or complete the online contact form to schedule a free consultation and find out how our Ft Lauderdale bicycle accident lawyer can fight for your justice and deserved compensation.