When pulling into a parking lot, you might feel safer than when you are driving on a highway or city street, but it is important to know that parking lots aren’t free of negligent drivers. In fact, parking lots are the scene of very many collisions. This is especially true during holiday shopping, as it is the busiest shopping time of the year.
As people are hustling and bustling to get their Christmas shopping done, parking lots at the malls, strip malls, big box stores, and almost all stores across Florida and the U.S. end up very crowded. As a result, many drivers are focused on getting a parking spot that they aren’t following road rules such as yielding or even watching out for other cars and pedestrians. Because of this, the risk of car accidents and pedestrian accidents in parking lots are greater during this time of the year.
According to AAA, there are some ways to avoid parking lot accidents during the holiday shopping season, including:
- Try to park at a side door instead of the main mall entrance. By doing this, you can avoid more of the crowds and will experience less traffic.
- By parking farther away and not trying to get the closest spot possible, you can lower your risk of a collision.
- Be visible. When pulling into a parking lot or parking garage, make sure your car’s headlights are turned on to make sure other drivers can see your vehicle.
- Don’t park in a tight spot. If you pull in between trucks, minivans, or SUVs, you might not be able to see when backing out.
- Be alert. Always look for pedestrians, especially children, in parking lots before backing out of a parking spot.
- Pay attention when you get out of your car to walk to the store. Use crosswalks and walkways when possible and look out for traffic and back-up lights.
- Always buckle your seat belt, even in a parking lot. Injuries can still occur in car accidents even at low speeds.
By taking these precautions and following these tips from AAA, you can reduce your chances for being in a Florida parking lot accident. Additionally, it is important to remind yourself to slow down in the holiday rush so that you can avoid accidents and injuries.
If you have been injured in a parking lot crash due to another driver’s negligence, contact a South Florida accident attorney at the Law Offices of David Benenfeld at [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″] for a free consultation today.