If you paid attention to the numerous safety tips for motorists regarding how to drive– what to do in certain circumstances, which way you should react, and when it’s proper to do certain things behind the wheel– you’d likely never get behind the wheel of a car again.
There are so many tips and guidelines that you couldn’t possibly remember them all. This certainly is true, but there are some basic safety tips for motorists that you should be aware of, especially as we start sharing the road with bicyclists.
- You don’t need to veer completely into another lane as you pass a bicyclist, but do give them a little extra room, rather than rushing past them with inches to spare.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and look carefully before proceeding through intersections. Be doubly cautious when you are near bike trails, parks, and other outdoor locations where biking is more commonly seen.
- Bicyclists are supposed to follow the same road rules as cars, but that doesn’t mean they always will, so don’t expect them to follow a certain path just because they are “supposed” to.
- When parking or leaving a parking space, look carefully for bicyclists before opening the car door after parking, or when getting ready to pull out of your parking space into traffic.
- Be patient. When you get in a hurry behind the wheel of a car, this is when accidents happen.
If you are involved in an accident with a bicyclist, or you are a bicyclist who has been involved in a collision with a vehicle, contact the Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld to learn more about personal injury claims and rights.
Image Source: Wikimedia