Many people have labor-intensive jobs that require them to lift heavy items. If your job requires you to carry heavy loads and is physically demanding, you may be at a higher risk for back injuries and a slipped or herniated disc.
Some tips to help you lift safely and prevent a lifting injury in South Florida include:
- Look to see if you have a clear space around you before lifting anything and moving with it
- Never lift an item on uneven or slippery grounds
- Check the item you are going to lift for weight prior to lifting
- Verify that the load is balanced to eliminate shifting
- Make sure you get a ladder if the item is over your head to avoid hurting your back
- Avoid reaching out for the item
- Get a forklift or dolly to help you lift a heavy load
- Don’t rely solely on a back belt
- Keep your back straight and bend at the knees
- Secure the object with a tight grip
- Lift with your legs, quads and arms while keeping your back straight
- Make sure there is a slight bend in your arms while carrying the load
- Keep the placement of the object you are carrying against your chest
- Carry the load between your chest and your waist to avoid hurting your back
- Look at your pathway while you are walking with the item to make sure it is free of hazards
By using smooth motions while lifting any item – small or large – it can help you avoid strained muscles in your back. Additionally, your body should be facing the item each time you lift. When your body is twisted while lifting, it can hurt your back. If you are constantly lifting loads at work, pace yourself. Take your time between lifts to make sure you are lifting properly in order to avoid unnecessary Florida workplace injuries.
These tips may help you avoid back injuries at work in Florida; however, even the most careful worker can still be injured on the job. If you suffered a back injury or any other lifting injury at work in South Florida, please call a workers’ compensation attorney in Fort Lauderdale to find out more about your rights. You can reach the Law Offices of David Benenfeld at [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″] and request a free legal consultation.