Experienced Home Insurance Attorneys Protecting Homeowners in West Palm Beach, Sunrise, and Ft. Lauderdale
As a homeowner, you always pay your homeowner’s insurance premiums on time, and you expect the coverage to be there when you need it. So, what do you do when your insurance company drags its feet or wrongfully denies your claim or just doesn’t pay what your claim is worth?
If you have experienced a fire, storm damage, or other unexpected event that has caused damage to your home, you could be entitled to compensation through your homeowner’s insurance policy. This is what is known as a “first-party” claim – you are seeking coverage for your losses under your policy.
When the Insurance Companies Go Too Far
When you file a claim with your homeowner’s insurance company, you expect to deal with some headaches. You will have to deal with annoying prompts on the phone, you will probably have to wait to speak with someone, and when you get to a live person, he or she will probably have lots of questions that seemingly have nothing to do with the reason why you called. This, unfortunately, is a part of life when you file a claim.
What is not a part of life, or at least what shouldn’t be, is having your insurance company wrongfully delay or deny your claim or just not pay you what your claim is worth. You paid for coverage, and you are entitled to that coverage in accordance with the terms of your policy. Yet, all too often, insurers leave homeowners stranded, displaced from their homes, and without the money that they need to make repairs so they can return to their normal lives.
If this sounds a little bit too familiar, what can you do to enforce your rights?
Experienced, Aggressive Representation for Homeowner’s Insurance Claims
Insurance claims lawyers at The Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A., represent homeowners in the Sunrise, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and West Palm Beach areas who have been wronged by their insurance companies. Attorney David M. Benenfeld has extensive experience in first-party homeowner claims; and, if you have a claim, he can help you enforce your rights. Our insurance claims attorneys are available to assist homeowners in all types of insurance claims, including those involving:
- Electrical damage
- Fire damage
- Flood damage
- Storm damage
- Water damage
- Wind damage
- Other types of property loss
Has Your Insurance Company Wrongfully Denied Your Claim?
As a homeowner who does not regularly deal with insurance companies, it can be difficult to know when poor-quality service crosses the line into bad faith, a contract breach, or fraud. The following is a non-exclusive list of all-too-common scenarios that often signify when it is time to seek legal representation:
- Your insurance company failed to conduct a reasonable investigation. When you file a homeowner’s claim with your insurance company, an adjuster should come out to investigate your claim in a timely manner. If no one came to investigate, if the investigation took weeks, or if the “investigation” was nothing more than a quick glance at your property, these could all be signs that you need an insurance lawyer.
- Your insurance company failed to promptly respond to your claim. In some cases, insurance companies won’t even respond to homeowners’ claims. Or, if they do, the response will be extremely delayed or come in dribs and drabs. In any event, it is clear that your insurer is dragging its feet on compensating you for your claim.
- Using harassment or intimidation. Another common improper insurance tactic is to use harassment or intimidation to try to get a homeowner to stop pursuing coverage under his or her policy. If you are being threatened with cancellation of your policy or huge premium hikes if you move forward with your claim, this could be a form of insurance bad faith.
- Misrepresenting the terms of your policy. Instead of harassing or intimidating their policyholders, some insurers will simply misrepresent the terms of their insurance policies. At The Law Offices of David M. Benenfeld, P.A., we can provide you with an accurate interpretation of your right to coverage.
- Requiring you to jump through hoops without results. Some insurers will require policyholders to complete unnecessarily burdensome paperwork as a delay tactic. When you have suffered property damage to your home, filing a claim should be a relatively straightforward process.
- Refusing to provide an explanation for a denial or delay. Finally, if your insurer cannot explain why your claim was denied (or why it is taking so long to get processed), this can be a clear sign of improper conduct.
- Not offering the appropriate amount of money to compensate you for your loss. If the insurance company is not offering the appropriate amount of money to compensate you for your entire loss, then this is a clear sign that you need legal help.
Contact Attorney David M. Benenfeld about Your Homeowner’s Insurance Claim
If you need help dealing with your homeowner’s insurance company, we invite you to contact us for a free, no-obligation consultation. To learn more about your legal rights and find out what we can do to help, call (954) 677-0155 or tell us about your situation online today.