What Are Some Of The Different Kinds Of Compensation Available In A Slip And Fall Case?
When an injury occurs in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you may have a claim for damages. “Damages” are also known as compensation. In a slip and fall case, which is under the umbrella of personal injury law, victims can pursue compensatory damages and sometimes punitive damages.
Compensatory damages are designed to compensate you for the injury you suffered. As a result of a Fort Lauderdale slip and fall accident, for example, you may have suffered the following:
- Medical costs. Damages in slip and fall cases include reimbursing you for your medical treatment, including tests, hospital visits, surgery, physical therapy and more. Additionally, you should receive damages for your future medical care related to your accident.
- Income loss. When injuries occur that cause you to miss work and wages, you should be compensated for your lost income. If a serious injury occurred that results in your ability to earn a living in the future, you will receive damages for loss of earning capacity.
- Mental anguish. Injuries can cause emotional distress, and damages for mental anguish are designed to compensate you for your sadness, depression, anxiety, fear and other psychological impacts of the injury.
- Pain and suffering. While it is hard to place a dollar amount on pain and suffering, you most likely suffered from discomfort and pain the accident caused you. As a result, you may be entitled to pain and suffering damages.
- Loss of consortium or companionship. Your injury may affect your relationship with your spouse or child, and you deserve to be compensated for those losses.
- Loss of enjoyment. Slip and fall injuries can keep you from participating in the hobby you love, exercising, or doing something you enjoy, which is why you are entitled to loss of enjoyment damages.
To speak with a knowledgeable South Florida slip and fall lawyer about your case and whether or not you are entitled to damages, contact the Law Office of David Benenfeld. You will receive a free consultation simply by calling [number type=”2″] or [number type=”1″] today.